APalbum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
APalbum

i have no idea what to write here but it's making me write something.

-------------- make sure when posting or creating a topic that you un-check "Notify me when a reply is posted" before you send it in, otherwise you'll get an email anytime someone posts. which is fucking annoying. i'll try to fix it so it is already un-checked but for now you gotta do that.

3 posters

How To Record These Songs

OveriseFan

How To Record These Songs Empty How To Record These Songs

Post by OveriseFan Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:14 pm

Hey guys,

I've noticed that things get a bit unorganized/hectic when recording songs. I think the best way to do this is the following:

1. Someone posts up their acoustic demo with vocals; it helps immensely if you can record to a click, because then that will become the scratch track for the drummer.
    2. Whoever's doing drums records/programs them, TO A CLICK (if you're programming, it should be anyway). This will become the foundation for the song now.
    3. Bass records to the scratch track and drums and a CLICK TRACK still; this means that you'll be playing along to the original demo and the drum track - being more careful to be in tune with the drums (lining up with the kick and all - you bassists know what you're doing, I know).
    4. After this, the original writer should re-do the guitars/pianos whatever. It might not need to be re-done, but most likely it will. Everyone else (guitars/pianos/etc.) can add their tracks now, playing along to the recording, whilst still listening to the click.
    5. Vocals might need to be re-done, as well as harmonies. That will be something that can be discussed on a song-by-song basis.

Point is: We need to record with a click! If we want these to sound tight - it's the only way. I know it gets annoying sometimes, but it will make you a better musician.

I don't mean to come in sounding like an asshole or like I want to take over - sorry if it sounds like that. I'm just trying to make this as good as possible (these songs sound great!) and get it going again on the right foot.

Thanks guys, post your thoughts.
    DionTSK
    DionTSK

How To Record These Songs Empty Re: How To Record These Songs

Post by DionTSK Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

i really like this idea, actually.
    beazer32
    beazer32

Post by beazer32 Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:31 am

sounds good to me!
    OveriseFan

Post by OveriseFan Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:12 am

Dion, you're writing lyrics, right? You have anything finished that you want to give up and put out there for me/others to work on?
    DionTSK
    DionTSK

Post by DionTSK Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:08 pm

other than the two i've posted in the songs forum, not really.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:42 am